the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Road Trip?

I pulled this from the comments...

Dude, after all the anguish and all the things you have been through trying to find him, I think you owe it to yourself to seek him out and tell him how you feel. Just don't be disappointed when you do. Your a big boy. I think you can handle it.
I agree. But, I will never again travel in a vehicle with wings attached. Won’t happen. If I was offered free airline tickets to the Playboy mansion with all of it’s many, uh, assets promising to frolic in the shower with me, I would decline.

It’s 43 hours by car to Alsea. 650 by bicycle. A Greyhound trip would be considerably longer. Being the only specialized technician that I am in my district, I will never get more than one week of vacation at a time. So, if I made the trip to Oregon, the turnaround time would be almost immediate.

Another thing: What would I do when I arrived?

I could book a room at the Alsea Valley Bed & Breakfast or the Leeping Lamb farm, visit John Boy’s Mercantile, have lunch at Deb’s CafĂ© ( done my homework as always), take a slew of pictures and then what? I’ve talked to three locals and they all say that my dad is a ghost. So, I sit on the side of the road and hope that that day is the day his sidekick decides to come down from the hills on her bicycle?

The manager of John Boy’s passed along Lisa’s email address, and it’s said she drops by the public library once a week to check her mail. I figured that would be the logical starting point, so two weeks ago I sent the following to her email address…
Greetings,
My name is Mark Cour, and I reside in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
I have three children---Peace, Marque and Ebon, as well as five amazing grandchildren---Gage, Taylor, Zachary, Jeremy and Avery. I have been married to my better half, Theresa (sainthood?), for close to 34 years.
While growing up under the watchful eye of my mother, I always figured I’d meet my estranged father one day, just out of sheer curiosity on his part. Obviously, that never happened.
At this point, I would cherish a conversation or a postal service exchange with him just out of sheer curiosity on my part.
I realize that he owes me nothing. And I’m not even sure what I would say to him if the opportunity to speak with him even presented itself. But after five decades of wondering, I still feel the need to try.
Being blindly loyal to a fault when it comes to all things family & friends, I am here if the two of you lack for anything at all.
Mark Cour
Home: 570-824-XXXX
Cell: 570-762-XXXX
Email: zorcong@earthlink.net
So far, no response.

Since that didn’t garner a reply, I’ll next send some snail mail to her P.O. box which I recently dredged up from the bowels of the Internet.

And I think I’ll include of few pictures, as in, look, these are your grandkids you never bothered to know. Maybe I’ll send a 50 dollar bill so they can get some real grub. I dunno. What do you say to a father you’ve never really known?

Then again, maybe I should just respect his obvious wishes and leave him alone, apparently, right where he always wanted to be…alone in the hills.

The thing is, I never really understood why he would risk everything to abscond with me, loose that battle, and then never, ever bother with me again.

Needless to say, I’m still collating with myself.

Later

No comments: