the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Friday, June 8, 2012

French Kiss

Bob Welch shot himself in the chest. He was 66.

Over the many years, there were certain vinyl records of mine that had to be replaced due to excessive overuse. “Ziggy Stardust” instantly comes to mind. “Freak Out” and “We’re Only In It For The Money” by the Mothers of Invention. Practically anything with Jimmy Page flailing away on it. Mick Taylor-era Rolling Stones. And somehow, “French Kiss” by Bob Welch.

Somehow, as in, it’s not a classic in the standard sense. But it’s very well-produced with good riffs and big hooks. A bit too pop for my tastes, but I never got tired of spinning that album.

I’m not sure what makes somebody take a gun to themselves. Perhaps I’ll find out some day.

Anyway, it first occurred to me that a girl named Ebon and not Ebony would be cool while listening to the following song released in 1978. Five years later, I had me a daughter named Ebon.

On a related note, one of those aforementioned Mothers albums also led to Peace Cour, my other daughter. You don't want to know about my son.

Watch the video. It'll do you some good to see a piece of vinyl spinning again. Outstanding sound quality, best I've heard on a YouTube video…

Gone. Not forgotten.

Later

No comments: