the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Intemperate stuff

Do you ever tire of running across this sort of sludge?

In a new global survey released on Wednesday, approval of President Barack Obama's policies has declined significantly since he first took office. Overall confidence in Obama and attitudes toward the US have slipped modestly as a consequence. By several measures some of the greatest slippage has occurred in Germany, especially with regard to America's image and Obama's foreign policies. After more than three years in office, Germans are disappointed in the US president's unilateralism; his use of force, particularly drone strikes; his inaction with regard to the Israeli-Palestinian situation and his lack of effort in curbing climate change.

Why is it I never see the polling data of what Americans think of the rest of the world? Why can’t they poll me?

Germany? Oh, I think it’s alright, definitely a country I hope never to have the misfortune of visiting, with the only real glaring negative being that it’s above sea level.

What do I think of the performance of Germany’s elected leaders?

I don’t. Can I go now?

$600 to have your car towed from the scene of an motor vehicle accident in Wilkes-Barre?

Boy, you have to do a lot of twisting and finagling to justify that one. Or shall we say, prevaricating. I was towed after a wreck in 2004, but the insurance company paid for every last cent of all of that debacle.

And since I do not park illegally, I’ve never had to squabble or haggle with any hostile towers, save for one time over my sister-in-law‘s car that was being “stored“ since she was short on cash.

Interestingly enough, last I knew, a ride in a city ambulance will set you back in excess of $600. And I’m assuming that many city residents are not aware of that since they routinely call for ambulances over dubious injuries and minor maladies.

If it were up to me, I’d bring in Falzone’s to handle the city’s towing. Real professional outfit there. Problem is, there is a Barney Farms tie-in. So if you bring in the big, professional towing outfit, the same half dozen or so activist/candidates will sprint to the newspapers with cries of cronyism. See, in Wilkes-Barre, it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

So perhaps we should switch back to the tower who hooks state police cruisers.

I’m not really sure why everyone seems to have their panties all in a bunch over this proposed plan to lease the city’s parking assets.

I’ll admit to being surprised when the news first broke, but sans any concrete details, I figured we’d find out what the scoop was when the time came.

But, of course, since the right-to-know rebels have adopted a scorched earth policy, all proposals are seen as yet another opportunity to send the elected and the appointed off to the hoosegow. Man, it irritates them to no end that the Luzerne County corruption scandal did not jump containment and burn right through city hall.

Oh, and I know, J.J. Murphy is being paid consultancy fees that seem outrageous to the hoi polloi. Wasteful spending, cronyism, I’ve seen and heard it all.

Yet, I drove by the Nord End playground earlier today and saw six summer hires sitting on their asses with nary a child in sight. Not a one. So it goes to follow that since some wasteful spending goes unnoticed while other wasteful spending gets the right-to-know rebels to freaking out, I’m left to assume that the issue with J.J. Murphy is of a personal nature.

$20 million for our parking assets? Honestly, I just don’t see it happening. And if it doesn’t materialize, well, then they’ll just have to keep hating on J.J. Murphy.

You know, more accusatory and libelous vitriol.

Later

No comments: