the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Waypoint

Yup. Did my civic duty this morning.

I know. The picture sucks. As if I care.


I heard on WILK that iffin' you change addresses, you need to show up at your new polling place armed with a valid picture ID, and then a couple of utility bills sporting your new address to seal the deal.

NOT!

The precinct workers called over some election official, he made a quick phone call and then I was sent packing to my usual voting haunt at Dan Flood elementary school. No biggie.

So, at 7:28 AM, I was logged in as Voter #38, proof to me that the electorate in that tiny voting ward was energized from the get-go. As was the case in 2008 and 2008 only, numerous black folks were in the early morning mix. And for the first time ever, a black woman sat amongst the poll workers. Seemed nice enough.

But, because of the relentlessly divisive hijinx of our sitting presidential trainee, I wondered to myself if she was in attendance simply to make sure that the white folks weren't up to some race-related election fraud. Sorry, but that's what immediately flashed across my denuded mind. It saddens me to think that things might have had to come to that. If, perhaps, the black folks showed up in appreciable numbers when non-blacks were on the ballots near the top of the ladder, then such thoughts would not occur to me.

According to the election official, I have to personally contact voter services to change my address, and, of course, my new voting haunt. All of which reminds me of Miracle on 34th Street. You know, if the United States Postal Service says that I, Markie, just happens to reside in Parsons, that ought to be good enough for the folks that embody what amounts to governance in the Luzerne County. Yeah.

Back at Dan Flood, there was a total of 1 poll worker(s) on the scene. Didn't look old enough to sport a single whisker. He handed me a card encouraging me to vote a straight party ticket for the Democrats. I took the card as I always do and always without comment, but I couldn't help but to wonder why some kid would feel so beholden to one of the two dominant political parties. Ah, don't much matter.

The way I see it, this election marks a waypoint for our country from which there might be no return. And at this particular waypoint, the folks who want to be left alone and to be able to earn a good life are squaring off directly against the politically amalgamated but still disparate groups who want something further from the depleted treasury.

And since I've expended all of my alloted political rounds by voting, all that's left to do now is to hope and pray.

Later

No comments: