the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Friday, June 17, 2011

3-day weekend

Yes, you heard that right. I've got me some well-deserved and long overdue rest and relaxation afoot. And I don't even have to rotate out of this theater to enjoy it.

Jeremy, Zach and I did some shopping today, which meant we had to venture downtown, to that supposedly dark and spooky place all of the usual activist suspects claim to fear so completely. (Wink, wink)


That tired bullspit about the downtown being dangerous is so off-base, I got to thinking about the last time I held any real fear in my heart while taking in our downtown. And the only thing I could think of was being chased by a police officer after he eyeballed me after dark dumping a box of Tide laundry detergent into the then-newish fountain in the middle of Public Square.

Honestly, it was more of a massive adrenaline burst than it was fear, but you have to remember that the police officers in those days--the 1970s--were not exactly physical specimens. If they actually managed to chase you down in those days, you ought to have died from embarrassment.

Interestingly enough, Zach got totally lit up by a police officer today for mucking about with those ancient paver bricks that have been in place for about 20 years too long now. He was respectful and quiet while he was being corrected by Lt. Harding. But I could tell it was bothering him all the way home, and he finally burst into tears when needled about it.

But we reminded him that he was told not to do it again, he said he wouldn't, so it was explained to him that he has nothing to worry about. Uh, provided that red paver bricks don't start going mysteriously missing.

So we went downtown today, that purportedly frightening place, and the only person paying us any mind was a Wilkes-Barre police officer.

And I'm all good with that.

And Zach has a new found respect for authority.

I'll be up very early, I'll be paddling the river before most of you take your first piss, and then it's off to the big protest on the Pierce Street bridge.

Later

No comments: