the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Look into the ring

I've been known to say to those who would have me, "You can't do anything without a computer," an obvious reference to everyday life in today's private sector.

As per my longtime blogging pursuits, I've been called everything from a trailblazer to "The Blogfather." But the fact is, I bought my original Hewlett Packard in 1996 because I knew my three kids would need to know their way around computers so as to be successful in an increasingly competitive business environment. It wasn't about me having fun, it was about my kids having maximized their earning potential. A good call, I'd say.

Still, that $2,000 expenditure made absolutely no sense to Wifey at that time, so it caused a bit of friction between us. And after I taught myself HTML, Javascript and started flirting with XTML, she was outwardly annoyed with the vast amount of time I was spending at my expensive keyboard. Er, when I was creating and later pounding away at Wilkes-Barre Online.

As for that aforementioned business environment, I have had access to all sorts of electronic do-dads in the ongoing struggle to first detect the presence of termites in structures and then to expel them from said structures. Stud finders. Moisture meters. Methane detectors. And high-tech electroscopes.

And, yes, we can even use the latest electronics to trick termites into revealing their arrival..

We even have a system by which invading termites would fax our office via a modem. True, I swear.

The way I see it, it won't be very long before we're all wearing a computer in the form of a ring a la Sean Connery's 1974 sci-fi flick "Zardoz."

Personally, with practically every person I now encounter being so consistently distracted by their sexy hand-held devices, their needless texts, their assinine sexts, their useless tweets, their inane Facebook gibberati and whatever other vapid garbage those old, overpriced PCs have led us to, I now yearn for the day when our requests of the ring would lead to that retort of "not permitted."

Look into the ring.

Later

No comments: