the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The campaign that almost was

I was voter #2 today at the 5th Ward in Wilkes-Barre.

I was in the door just as soon as it was permissible and back out by 7:08 AM. The ease of use alone makes one wonder why more people don't bother to do their civic duty.

I always arrive when the bell's of St. Luke's strike seven, and there is usually a slew of assorted party apparatchicks handing out campaign literature. This morning, only one stalwart was on hand...the GOP's Alex Partika.

About a week or so ago, the following request from a party honcho arrived via snail mail:

On Primary Election Day, I am asking you to write yourself in under Member of the Republican County Committee for Wilkes-Barre City, Ward 5.

As the letter instructed me to do, I was supposed to ask friends and neighbors from my precinct to also write my name in. Problem is, I am adrift in a sea of Democrats. Blindly loyal, hard-core Democrats.

So, after talking to said honcho and agreeing to get involved, I requested a listing of local Republicans I could approach. And I planned to speak with them this past weekend. Of course, that was before news of my mother-in-law's passing came to the fore.

So, when I was leaving the polls this morning, I asked Mr. Partika to distribute to loyal Republicans known to him the "write in" cards I was provided with. In effect, I figure that makes him my campaign manager. Er, some such thing.

Anyway, even though my planned-on last minute campaign blitz never came about, I did what I could to officially get myself involved in a one-party county known for corruption, a place where the elected as well as the appointed have been going down in disgrace.

Both Wilkes-Barre and Luzerne County desperately need a much more vibrant opposition party. And maybe, just maybe, I'll be seeing what I can offer to all of that other than moving any and all official Republican business to the Hardware Bar.

Later

No comments: