the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Friday, May 14, 2010

Random thoughts

Today marked the second installment of Webster & Nancy's Friday Beer Buzz on WILK.

To be painfully honest, when first they announced this new addition to WILK’s morning show, I blurted out “What? Is this Talk 107 now? And that’s because Webster did a similar beer-tasting bit over at that classic rock station he walked away from to do talk radio.

Long story short, the Friday Beer Buzz with Nancy, John And Joe is a freaking hoot. And if you’ve got nothing better to tune into on Friday mornings, give it a listen.

A little known fact about myself is that I am a home-brewer, and I have been so for many years. So I’m thinking about sending some samples of my signature recipe to Webster in hopes of being included in the beer buzzing one of these Friday mornings sometime soon.

I’m going to forward a six-pack of my trademarked Sauerberry Ale, a pale ale dominated by the taste of blueberry, but with this not-so-subtle hint of sauerkraut mixed in there somewhere. And this ale is not hops-driven. Oh, no, this pale ale is ultimately powered by rutabaga, as well as by dandelion root and fungi scraped from the bottom of landscaping timbers.

It’s loaded with antioxidants, and it’s a natural laxative to boot.

I’ll give y’all a heads up when it is featured on the Buzz.

I don’t ask for much around here, but I’m pleading for your help today.

Please visit and join my new Facebook page, Betty White to replace WILK’s Steve Corbett.

Although, this guy might have been a better choice, so as to not mess with the continuity of the show during the long-overdue changeover.

Whatever.

As far as Facebook is concerned, if you’ve got something to say to me, something to share with me, or some political thing you think we should collate on, drop me an email.

I’ve already rejected close to 2,000 friend requests on Facebook, and I will continue to do so until my father‘s name suddenly appears out of the thickening mist. As of today, I have 23 “friends,” almost all of which are related to me. And I strongly suspect that I have reached my apogee in these silly networking respects.

Thing is, I’m about as interested in social networking as I am in having a high-velocity round pass through my swirling brain. If that’s ignorant on my part, then there it is…I’m ignorant.

But if you really want to talk to me, do it the old-fashioned way.

Hit the email inbox.

While this may be anecdotal, it is what it is.

Are any of the many candidates for political office going door-to-door?

As of this late date, I have yet to have a candidate knock on my front door. I’ve found a total of two smallish post card-sized cards laying on my porch. And for that matter, I’ve received only a smattering of mailers. And not a single robo-call.

I keep reading all of these blog posts detailing all of this money that went into various and sundry campaign war chests, but it’s been kind of quiet on my tiny side street. All of which forces me to surmise that almost all of that ill-begotten campaign money went to the local television stations and WILK.

Anyway, I have yet to shake a grubby hand. And I'm fast tiring of this necessary gibberish and ready to vote.

This one caught my jaded eye...

The link: W-B chapter to host Guardian Angels conference

The explanatory excerpt: A host of angels are coming to Wilkes-Barre on Saturday - the Guardian Angels, that is.

Wilkes-Barre will play host to the annual Pennsylvania Regional Conference for the Guardian Angels, a volunteer anti-crime patrol group that has a chapter in the city.

Members from chapters across the state and other chapters from the Northeast part of the country will gather Saturday for the conference and then a widespread patrol across Wilkes-Barre.

Curtis Sliwa, who founded the group decades ago in New York City, will be in town to meet one-on-one with chapter leaders to discuss ongoing issues within the organization.


The excerpt that got my mind to spinning: Visiting members will start the conference at noon, get acquainted with local members and go out to patrol around the city. Later, around 6 p.m., Sliwa will begin one-on-one meetings with group leaders before an overall address to members. After that, members will go out and patrol again.

So, if you're planning on knocking off a Turkey Hill, this particular night might not be the best night to do so. I'm just saying.

A couple of years ago, Scott Koppenhofer, the guy who formed and trained the W-B chapter of Angels, sat with me over a few beers. Okay, a few dozen beers.

Anyway, my initial bad reaction to the news of Guardian Angels setting up shop in Wilkes-Barre was far, far, far less than receptive. In fact, it was excitedly anticipatory whereas possible confrontations between patrolling Angels and myself were concerned.

And to his credit, rather than permanently writing me off as some sort of local yokel talking all sorts of smack in bereft of all of the facts, Scott sought out a dialogue with me. Something I can respect no matter what the message.

In the grand scheme of things, he's one of the good guys.

If you're interested, give it a look.

3-25-2008: An Angel meets the Internet Devil

Bye

No comments: