the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Intemperate musings

I knew this was coming.

And if you pay even scant attention to all things Scranton, you knew it was coming, too.

Scranton to lay off 13 police officers, eight firefighters

Yet, the on-air talent at WILK spares no opportunity to unmercifully bash Wilkes-Barre and it’s leadership.
The long-distressed city, with the illusive mayor, the inept council and the estimated $350-400 million in outstanding debts gets a pass day-in and day-out.

It’s perplexing, I tell you.

Get this, I am now a card-carrying member of Google+.

I’ve spent perhaps an hour goofing around with it. But even with such a limited tour of the available facilities, it’s blatantly obvious to me that without some significant upgrades Facebook is destined to follow MySpace into the dustbin of electronic irrelevance.

I’m just saying.

Only in Wilkes-Barre

Only in Wilkes-Barre do the residents and the self-aggrandizing, half-wit activists react negatively and viscerally to the construction of high-profile projects. Name a project that has been completed during the recent past, and then think back to all of the hootin’ and hollerin’ that went on during the construction phases of the various projects.

Currently, we have the residents of Coal Street supposedly being blindsided by the reduced availability of parking when the monstrous project is completed next year.

I dunno, maybe I read too much, but I knew what the project entailed. And I don’t live or park anywhere near Coal Street. Yet, I’m to believe that no one that resides along that huge tract of land had a clue. I’m not sure I’m buying that spiel.

Either way, the project has to be modified so as to accommodate the parking needs of the nearby residents. In retail, nobody opens a small business without enough available parking to be had. And in a residential setting, not a soul would purchase a home if they had to trek a thousand yards to “their” parking spot. Something needs to happen there.

Oh, and it reaffirms my faith in something or other to see that the people who turned Luzerne County into the corruption center of the known universe now want to make with the good citizen bit.

Disgraced Clerk of Courts Lashes Out on WBRE

What’s next? Former judges awaiting sentencing showing up at city council meetings and filibustering about the towing contracts past and present?

Spare me!

"From each according to their ability, to each according to their need."

Is it just me, or does that carved-in-stone Communist mantra (cleverly reworded) seem to be the biggest single argument against austerity moves or a balanced budget amendment?

Sure seems like it to me.

Do we really want to live in a country bankrupted by the faulty premise that the Fedrule Govmint owns the product of your labor and can do with it what it damn well pleases?

Seriously! Nothing can be cut, nothing can be scaled back except NASA and the military? That is as big a prevarication as it is complete sophistry of thought.

And new revenue streams? Cut me a freaking break!

Whenever a career politician of any stripe starts going on about needing new revenue streams, what they are telling you is that they can not or will not manage or govern effectively or efficiently. They are the Andrea True's of the flailing system...More, More, More! 

What they are saying is that they haphazardly tapped out all of the credit cards and they want new ones. Only, they want the newer ones to have no credit limits.

If it’s time for the last of the remaining folks with the abilities to ‘eat their peas,’ then it’s also time that those growing hordes with the needs do likewise. As in, with one bold stroke of the overpriced pen, an across-the-board spending cut.

Try this on for size…

We have empty LCTA buses whizzing along in virtually every direction. Meanwhile, we have even more Federally-provided “assisted ride” vans filled to the brim with passengers needing to go here, there and everywhere.

In effect, the Feds are subsidizing the undoing of the heavily subsidized public transportation programs.

And don't give me any rotgut about the needs of the handicapped. Fact is, the LCTA buses are much more accessible to the handicapped than are the smallish assisted needs vans.

Must be me, right?

Later

P.S.--I relent. I’ll take the pink tie over the molested ice cream cone.

“I did not have sex with that Dilly Bar.”

No comments: