the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Leighton press release

Breaking news from the Times Leader: Leighton‘s relatives resign from city internships

11:52 AM

By Andrew M. Seder
aseder@timesleader.com
Times Leader Staff Writer

The City of Wilkes-Barre has issued a release announcing that Brian, Lauren, and Courtney Leighton have resigned from their summer employment effective today.

The hiring of the three have come under scrutiny by media organizations and the public.

Mayor Tom Leighton, in the release, said, “I feel it is necessary to address recent media reports concerning the hiring of my relatives for summer employment with the city. This is a program that is an important asset to the community. Our summer employees and interns perform a great public service to the people of Wilkes-Barre and gain valuable work experience that in many cases has inspired these workers to remain public servants beyond school both here and in other communities. It is this opportunity that drove members of my family to seek employment with the city for the summer. Not to exploit the people of Wilkes-Barre but to serve them.”

He went on to say, "I want to state here and now that I have not violated my oath of office. I have always run an honest government and will continue to do so. Given the developments of the last few days, speaking with residents, and most importantly, consulting my family, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, all family members employed by the city have agreed to resign their position with the city effective immediately.”


“I feel that there are important issues that the city faces and this should not become an issue that consumes the city conversation. I do not take these matters lightly but I firmly believe that I acted in good faith. I am going to get back to work for the people of Wilkes-Barre as I have been every day,” said Leighton.

*********************

No comments: