the barcode printer: free barcode generator

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow day

Well, we finally caught a whiff of that wayward jet stream, and the crunchy water is coming down by the pound. Cool.

I got up early as always, copped a quick glance outside and realized the roads were in good condition. Really good condition. And since I had a stop here in Wilkes-Barre that was of the public health/public safety variety, I decided to gear up and head on out.

After a quick stop at the shop, I arrived at my job site by 8 am and got to it. At that point, I figured I'd keep working up until the roads were putting my safety in danger. And since I rarely fear much of anything, I also figured putting in a full work day might be a possibility.

But upon exiting the building I was working in little more than an hour later, the realization that my work day was over was immediate. You see, an S-10 with anti-lock-brakes in a serious snowstorm usually means a motor vehicle accident of some sort is a high probability. So back to the shop I slogged, uploaded my info, and back into the mix I went.

And I have to say, the city, from one end to the other was a virtual demilitarized zone completely devoid of vehicles and pedestrians. So, we finally got ourselves a taste of winter, and I'm beaming proud to say I was not among the hordes of easily-led sheep who flocked to the supermarket last night in a clear display of media-induced mass hysteria. No milk, no bread, no nothing.

Although, I did have a gnawing hankering to stop at Musical Energi and blow a considerable wad of money on used CDs. Seriously kiddies, addictions are terrible, terrible things. Thankfully, the convulsions and the tremors have passed.

Sue, please burn me some of that Hold Steady stuff before I go and do something rash with a bed sheet. Please, please help me.

Anywho, if you don't absolutely have to go out, don't. And if you're dangerously low on milk or bread, please call Help Line at 829-1341.

And with that, I'm off to the CD-Rom version of Civilization IV. I have a score to settle with the Chinese. I'm going to arm up, expand my empire rapidly, and then rumble thee forth over the land of the unbelieving scum on the other side. 'Cause they don't go for what's in the book and that makes them bad.*

What better way is there to spend a snow day than by a starting a 1,000-year religious war?

Later

*Excerpted from Frank Zappa's "Dumb all Over."

No comments: